Thursday, April 4, 2013

Yelp


So I just recently scored my third internship; suffice it to say I feel like a professional intern-er now.  My new position is with Yelp as a Marketing intern.  Before I applied for the position, I was familiar with Yelp, but I wasn't fully aware of all the cool stuff they offered.  


If you've never heard of it, Yelp is an online community committed to providing business reviews from real people.  It's almost like a social network in the sense that you're able to create your own profile, like other peoples reviews by voting them a funny, cool and/or useful, and engage with other users by asking them questions in the "talk" section about anything from what their favorite ice cream in the city is to where they get their taxes done. 

Unlike similar websites, Yelp isn't just for restaurants, its for almost any business you could imagine.  If you can patronize it, it's probably on Yelp.  But it doesn't stop there.  The website provides a list of upcoming events in your city, tells you about new businesses in the area, and features challenges you can join with other users.  It's not just a website either, there's also a mobile app that gives you the ability to access reviews, find nearby deals, check-in places and much more.  

As someone who values word-of-mouth advertising above all else, I really can't sing the praises of Yelp highly enough (and I swear they're not paying me to say that).  If you're not using Yelp, you should at least check it out (here's a link to the Louisville Yelp).  And if you do decide to sign up, add me as a friend (here's a link to my profile).

P.S.--check out my cool Yelp feed that I added to the blog--pretty snazzy, huh?  

No comments:

Post a Comment