Thursday, March 7, 2013

So fresh and so clean


This isn't my normal social media related post, but it falls in line with one of my other favorite things, saving money so I thought i'd pass it along.   

I'm cheap, y'all.  I don't buy anything unless it's on sale and i'll search the internet over trying to find the best possible deals.  When my mother-in-law told me about making your own laundry detergent, I was skeptical.  I'm no Holly Homemaker and my home-ec skills are lacking to say the least, but she assured me it was fool proof and considering the minimal cost I figured the risk was well worth the reward.  The recipe makes five gallons of laundry detergent and costs less than $10.  Yeah, you read that right.  FIVE GALLONS OF LAUNDRY DETERGENT FOR LESS THAN TEN DOLLARS.  You can't even buy a box of Tide for less than $10!  My husband and I are on our second batch of this detergent and I can assure you that it gets your clothes just as clean as any of the leading brands and for our family of 2 it will last us anywhere from 6-8 months.  

What you'll need:

  • 5 gallon bucket
  • large sauce pan
  • 1 bar of all purpose soap (can be found at Wal-Mart, Meijer, ect in the laundry aisle)
  • 1 cup washing soda (also found in laundry aisle)
Steps:
  1. Bring 4 cups of water to boil 
  2. Grate bar of soap (we use a cheese grater)
  3. Add soap to boiling water and stir until soap is melted
  4. Fill bucket with 4 gallons of hot tap water
  5. Add melted soap and washing soda to bucket
  6. Stir well (3-5 minutes)
  7. Cover bucket and allow to set up over night
  8. Done!
We leave the bucket sitting in our laundry room and fill old detergent bottles as needed.  Remember to shake/stir occasionally as the soap will sometimes settle to the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment